Worried about how your gutters will perform this spring? Below are 9 steps to prepare your gutters for spring.
- Clean all debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Check for leaks in the seams and end caps. Run water in your gutters using a hose. If more than 1/2 inch of water remains standing, the gutters will need to be reset.
- If downspouts are connected to underground pipe, make sure water is not backing up around the connection. If it is, the underground pipe may be clogged.
- All hangers, screws and nails should be tight and secure.
- Steel gutters should be examined for rust.
- Check for broken or short shingles and/or flashing at the gutters. Shingles or flashing should extend 1 to 1.25 inches into the gutter run.
- Look for visible signs of wood damage to the gutter boards.
- Make sure your roof is free of debris, which could hamper water flow to your gutters.
- Look for signs of soil erosion or standing waters around the downspouts. Splash blocks or extensions can be added if necessary.
Be sure to add the above items to your spring time honey do list! And as always, Reliable is here to answer any questions you may have.